Saturday, September 27, 2008

Paul Newman dead at 83

What a sad headline to read on AOL this morning. One of our most respected actors has lost his battle with cancer. As much as I knew that he hadn't been doing well for awhile now, it still came as a shock. It's funny how some people you've never even met can still be such a part of your life. I've been an admirer of Paul Newman for so many years, not just as an actor but as a person too. He's one of the few actors who never let his fame get the better of him. He never even liked to sign autographs because he felt the act made it seem that his signature meant more than other peoples and he was never arrogant about who he was. Today's actors could learn some very valuable lessons from his example in so many ways. He was a brilliant actor and a very charitable, caring man with a wonderful sense of humor and he will be missed. I think I'll be pulling out my old video and watching him as Butch Cassidy sometime this weekend just to see him smile again.

4 comments:

Muddy said...

Ah, Marjorie, I didn't know. :-(
I was right fond of him. Recquiesat in pace, Paul Newman.

Rice and Beans Vintage said...

Oh, I had no idea! What an amazing person.

Unknown said...

Very sad indeed.

Jonara Blu Maui said...

Hubby just told me this news this morning :(