Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Pet memorial jewelry




I'm constantly trying to think of new ways that people can enjoy my jewelry. The most requests I've received from customers is to make jewelry from a mother's or aunt's china or from a particular pattern of china that has some meaning to them. I've heard many stories from customers as to the reasons they'd like their jewelry made. But this year, I've received a new one.



I can't go into too many details since the jewelry is being made as a Christmas surprise. I'll tell more of the story after Christmas. But for now, I can say that the customer's relative had lost her cat this year and the customer wanted me to design jewelry from the saucer that the cat ate from. I thought this was a most wonderful gesture to make.

I'm a cat lover myself and have two buddies who live with me. I've lost many cats over the years and I think the hardest part after the loss is getting rid of the cats belongings. There is nothing harder to throw away than the cat's dishes and yet, I could never keep them to let another cat use. Maybe it's just me but the dishes were a particular cat's and only that cat's. But to keep the dishes always felt a bit foolish.

So what better way to retain part of something that reminds you of your precious pet than to make jewelry out of it?! This Christmas, my customer's relative will be given a gift that will hold special meaning for her and her alone.

So if you're looking for a unique way to commemorate the love of a beloved pet, consider having broken china jewelry made from their pet dishes. If you'd like further information on how to proceed, please contact me.

4 comments:

ChezChani said...

As a fellow cat lover (3) I think that is toooooo sweet and wonderful.

Unknown said...

I knew you would love this idea, Elayne! :)

Catwalk Creative Vintage said...

It's a great idea! I'm a cat lover too and throwing away their dishes is horrible and heartbreaking. Well done Marjorie! :)

Giovanna said...

This is a beautiful idea! How sweet Marjorie :)
xoxo
Giovanna
❉ ✿ ✿ ❉
www.bohomarket.blogspot.com