Sunday, October 11, 2009

The importance of pets


I had a bit of a scare with one of my cats last night. Patches is 15 years old and has lost quite a bit of weight this past year. I took her for blood work a couple of months ago and they couldn't detect any problems and said it was probably due to her age. But I don't feel that she's that old. My Satin lived to 21 and Toby was 18 when he contracted an aids-like virus. Patches is far too young to look like she does. The photo of her here is from the summer before this past one. She's aged so much since then.

Last night I went to visit with my mom and when I came home, Patches was in poor shape. I won't go into all the graphic details but I was afraid she had suffered a seizure or stroke. She was obviously frightened by it herself. Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep last night and thought this may be the end of my little Patches. But she completely surprised me by coming out this morning and eating some breakfast. She isn't back to herself quite yet but certainly much better than last night.

I took Patches when she was just a tiny kitten. Satin had just passed away and I was having a hard time adjusting to life without her and thought a kitten might help. Plus I only had Figaro at that time and have always had two cats. I love calicoes and thought Patches was beautiful. She has quite a bit of Maine Coon in her. She has been such a good and faithful companion throughout the years. My pets have always meant a great deal to me but now as the time may be approaching when she'll no longer be a part of my home, her importance becomes even more apparent.

Here's a photo of Dickon.
I had seen a female cat at PetSmart and my heart went out to her so I went to the pound to bring her home, even though I already had two cats. However, when they took this female cat out of her cage, she began hissing at all the other cats and became very agitated so the pound said she had to go to a home where she'd be an only cat. Then I saw Dickon who was about a year old and had been there for four months. What a big beautiful boy - he's huge! They let him out of his cage so I could play with him a bit and of course he came home with me.

My pets are a special part of my life and the bond I have with them is a strong one. They've given me so much totally unconditional love. Hopefully, Patches and Dickon will be with me for many more years to come. They're my buddies. :)

3 comments:

Catwalk Creative Vintage said...

Oh Marjorie, I understand completely where you're coming from. We've always had cats in our family. We have two brother cats, Miko and Suki (Suki because we thought he was a girl)!!!! and the name stuck. They are the softest boys in the world! About 18 months old now. We waited a few months after our last cat, Percy, died unexpectedly a couple of years ago. He was only 12 and fighting fit - we thought! I found him underneath our kitchen window (outside) with not a mark on him. :( Don't know whether he had a 'dicky' heart and just collapsed or what? We'll never know and I didn't want the vet messing about with him. He was gone and we were bereft; heartbroken. My other cat, Charlie, was 18 when she died and I still miss her today. A beautiful little black 'moggie' that was so gentle and loving.

I'm afraid this is the price we must pay for loving our pets so much. I cannot bear to see animals suffer but you can at least, satisfy yourself that your cats Marjorie, will have had the happiest and most loving life with you. :) It's the best we can do. I hope Patches makes a full recovery and soon. :)

Unknown said...

I love my pets too. I have 3 dogs and they are like pals to me too. It is something special that they give to our lives! Suzie. xxx

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for your comments, Louise & Suzie! Patches is doing much better today. The vet thinks she may have had a mini-stroke but with no lasting effects. She just needs to get her strength back.